Upon returning from World War II, David G. McGiffert and Thomas H. Nicol established the engineering firm of Nicol and McGiffert in 1949, Tuscaloosa’s first civil engineering firm. Mr. W. H. Nicol, Thomas Nicol’s father and a civil engineer, mentored the two young engineers.
In 1959, Mr. Nicol left the firm to pursue land development interests and the firm was renamed McGiffert Engineering Company. McGiffert Engineering Company continued to provide civil engineering and surveying services to Tuscaloosa and West Alabama. The company was reorganized in 1965 and became McGiffert & Associates, Inc.
Upon graduation from The University of Alabama with engineering degrees, sons of David G. McGiffert, W. David McGiffert and R. Allen McGiffert, joined the firm in 1974 and 1982 respectively. They became active participants in management of the firm and obtained ownership control of the firm in 1991.
On November 1, 2001 McGiffert and Associates, Inc. reorganized to McGiffert and Associates, LLC with Michael W. Gardiner and Darrell A. Hobson becoming shareholders along with David and Allen McGiffert. In 2005, James L. Duncan, Jr. and Jason L. Coker were welcomed as shareholders, and Q. Hansel Stewart became a shareholder in 2012.
At present, the firm has approximately 40 employees consisting of engineers, surveyors, computer CADD technicians, construction technicians and clerical workers.